GREEN BAY (GreenBayPhoenix.com) - The Green Bay women's basketball team defeated No. 7 Cleveland State, 73-30, in the quarterfinals round of the 2019 Little Caesars Horizon League Women's Basketball Championship, securing a spot in the Semifinals next week at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit.
Kevin Borseth notched his 400th career victory as the head coach of the Green Bay women's basketball program, becoming the second coach in program history to reach the milestone.
The game started out even on Wednesday night at the Kress Center, as both squads took the floor to start the second quarter tied at 13-13. GB put its lockdown defense on full display in the second, allowing only two points to the Vikings as the Phoenix constructed a 28-15 advantage at the halfway point.
Green Bay didn't slow down from there, holding the Vikings to single digits in both the third and fourth quarters as the Phoenix went on to secure a 73-30 victory and advance to the program's 25th-consecutive HL Tournament Semifinals.
Green Bay will take the court on Monday, March 11 at 2:30 p.m. (CT) in the semifinals against No. 3 Youngstown State for a chance to advance to the championship on Tuesday, March 12 at 11 a.m. (CT).
- Kevin Borseth notched his 400th win as the head coach at Green Bay
- Green Bay advances to the semifinals round of the Horizon League Tournament for the 25th-straight season
- The Phoenix improved to 22-3 in the postseason all time at the Kress Center
- The Phoenix allowed only two points in the second quarter of play
- Frankie Wurtz scored 11 points in the third quarter
- Green Bay's record in the Horizon League Tournament improved to 61-9 all time
- he Phoenix will face No. 3 Youngstown State in the semifinals on Monday at 2:30 p.m. (CT)
Today's game was the eighth time this season GB held its opponent to less than 40 points