Things to Know for voting in Tuesday's spring election

Voters head to the polls Tuesday, April 4, for the Wisconsin spring election.

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The Wisconsin Elections Commission predicts turnout between 13 and 18 percent of people old enough to vote.. The average turnout for spring elections dating back to 2000 is 19.3 percent.

The only contested statewide race is for state superintendent of public education. Lowell Holtz is challenging incumbent Tony Evers. It's a non-partisan office but Democrats are backing Evers while conservatives support Holtz.

In Northeast Wisconsin there are hundreds of races and referendums to be decided, including races for county and municipal leaders and school boards and municipal and school referendums.

We'll have results Tuesday night on WBAY-TV and

Things to know when you vote:

1. Find your voting place on the MyVote Wisconsin website. It was redesigned to be mobile-friendly. You'll find information about every polling place as well as information about what you'll find on your ballot. You can also see if your voting registration is current and start the voter registration process online.

2. Voters must present a valid photo ID. For most people, that will be a Wisconsin driver license. It does not need to have your current address, and the name on the ID doesn't have to exactly match your name as it's listed in the poll book (e.g., Frank for Francis, Peggy for Margaret).

Valid ID's, according to the Wisconsin Elections Commission:

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card or driver license without a photo issued under the religious exemption

  • Military ID card issued by a U.S. uniformed service

  • A U.S. passport

  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin (May be used even if expired before the most recent general election.)

  • A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains date of issuance, signature of student, and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance. Also, the university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment. (May be used even if expired before the most recent general election.)

The following ID's must be current (i.e., not expired):

  • A veteran’s photo identification card issued by the Veterans Health Administration of the federal Department of Veterans Affairs

  • A certificate of naturalization that was issued not earlier than two years before the date of an election at which it is presented

  • A driving receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)

  • An identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)

  • A temporary identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT through the Identification Petition Process (IDPP) (valid for 180 days)

  • A citation or notice of intent to revoke or suspend a Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license that is dated within 60 days of the date of the election.

For questions about photo ID visit the Bring It to the Ballot website or call 1-866-VOTE-WIS.

3. A voter who doesn't have an acceptable photo ID can still fill out a provisional ballot which will be counted once they present a photo ID at the municipal clerk's office within 3 days.

4. If you make a mistake you can request a new paper ballot, up to 3.

5. People are asked not to wear political clothing or paraphernalia to the polling place on Election Day. The chief election inspector has the right to ask a person to leave if the inspector feels the person is electioneering or creating a disturbance.