Suspect in carjacking fatally shot by La Crosse Police


LA CROSSE, Wis. (WXOW) - The suspect in the carjacking of a vehicle with a young child inside is fatally shot by La Crosse Police late Sunday afternoon on the south side of the city.

The shooting happened shortly after 5 p.m. at the intersection of 8th and Johnson streets.

La Crosse Police said a woman and her two children were in Houska Park when a white male approached, displayed a handgun, then demanded the woman's vehicle.

The mother was able to get herself and a three-year-old child out of the SUV but the man drove off with the woman's 1-year-old child still inside.

Police quickly located the SUV and a short chase began which ended when the man crashed into a parked vehicle.

According to an eyewitness who saw the shooting unfold, a man in an SUV had hit a parked vehicle. The man continued to try to drive forward until another squad car pinned in the vehicle. Officers then confronted the man who was still trying to drive forward.

Captain Jason Melby said that the two officers saw the suspect with a weapon and that's when the shooting occurred.

The witness said that several shots were fired.

The witness said she saw an officer go inside the SUV and remove the child. The child is believed to only have minor injuries.

Other officers then pulled the man out of the vehicle and began CPR. The man was taken to a La Crosse hospital a short time later.

The man was pronounced dead at 6:03 p.m.

His name has not been released.

The names of the officers involved were not released as well. They are now on paid administrative leave according to department policy.

The child was turned over to her father according to police.

No one else was injured in the incident.

Police said they would provide additional details on Monday.

The department spokesperson said that the state's Division of Criminal Investigation will handle the investigation into the shooting as an independent outside agency. State law and department policy requires an outside agency investigate the shooting.

A statement from the department said that this is the first officer-involved shooting resulting in the death of a suspect since 1935.

We welcome comments and civil discussions. powered by Disqus