GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) - A fire in a large apartment building was stopped in its tracks by the sprinkler system Monday night.
The Green Bay Metro Fire Department blames careless use of smoking materials for a fire inside a closet in one of the apartments of Woodland Park on University Avenue.
The sprinkler system activated and alarms went off just before 6:30 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found the fire was already extinguished.
Woodland Park has 80 apartments, according to its website.
Neighbors were allowed back in their apartments after about 45 minutes.
Damage is estimated at $20,000.
The person living in the apartment, along with two cats, are staying with friends across the hall, GBMFD said.