One dead in Oneida home explosion
The body of a woman was found at the scene of a home explosion in the Town of Oneida in Outagamie County on Saturday.
Oneida Police did not release the woman's name or age.
A man, who neighbors say is the homeowner, was injured and severely burned. He was flown to a Green Bay hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice - Division of Criminal Investigation is assisting local investigators.
"The incident is being treated as a criminal investigation until we find out all the facts and circumstances," says Oneida Police Chief Rich Van Boxtel.
At 7:30 a.m. officers responded to W1520 Ray Road for a report of a mobile home explosion. According to the Outagamie County Sheriff's Office, early indications suggest the home exploded due to a gas leak.
However, Oneida Police are not confirming the exact cause of the explosion.
The State Fire Marshal has been called to the scene to assist with the fire investigation.
Steve Gonnering, a neighbor, was one of the first people on the scene.
"This morning, I just got up, poured myself a cup of coffee and all of a sudden I just heard a loud explosion," said Gonnering.
He couldn't see what exploded, but the saw debris coming down from the tree line.
"I just grabbed my phone, I jumped in my truck and I was gone. I dialed 911 immediately," said Gonnering. "When I got there, I noticed movement in the ditch. There was...the guy was there, the homeowner."
The man who owned the home was thrown from the house by the explosion. He was injured and burned, but alive.
Neighbors helped him out of the ditch while they waited for an ambulance.
"It was just terrible. He was burned and he was in pretty rough shape, but for him to come out of there, it's just amazing," said Gonnering.
Three people lived in the home. The third person was not home at the time of the explosion.
The neighborhood is sad about the loss of the woman, but is pulling for the man, now in the hospital.
"I just hope and pray that everything goes good for him. I mean, it's just an experience that no one should go through," said Gonnering.