Advertisement

Teen in custody after shooting threat to Notre Dame Academy

Police investigate a threat emailed to Notre Dame Academy. Sept. 5, 2019. (WBAY Photo)
Police investigate a threat emailed to Notre Dame Academy. Sept. 5, 2019. (WBAY Photo)(WBAY)
Published: Sep. 5, 2019 at 9:48 AM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE

A 13-year-old boy is in police custody after writing an email threat about a shooting at Notre Dame Academy, according to Green Bay Police Chief Andrew Smith.

The school was on lockdown for about two-and-a-half hours Thursday.

Notre Dame Prinicpal Patrick Browne says the teen is not a Notre Dame student.

At 7:49 a.m., Green Bay Police received a report from another local school's principal that they had received an email indicating there was going to be a shooting at Notre Dame Academy.

Officers arrived at Notre Dame within minutes of the call. The school was placed on lockdown at 8 a.m.

"Meanwhile our detectives and police officers followed up with the 13-year-old individual that we believe was the origin of this threat," says Police Chief Smith.

Investigators obtained the boy's electronic devices. After several hours of investigation, the teen admitted to writing the email, says Smith. He told police that there was no real threat to the school.

Principal Browne says his school was "very well prepared" for the situation. They perform monthly drills.

"Although it's very unfortunate these situations take place--they're not that uncommon in America these days-- our teachers staff and students were very cooperative through the entire event," says Browne.

Browne said the school put in place safety tools obtained through Wisconsin Department of Justice grants.

"This situation reinforces the importance of the grant provided by the Department of Justice funds which assisted us in controlling access to the building and securing our main entrance," says Principal Browne.

The all clear was given, and the lockdown was lifted at 10:40 a.m.

Chief Smith expects charges to be filed in this case.

"The police department takes this very seriously. That student is in police custody now. He will remain in police custody," says Smith.

Nearby Franklin Middle School was also placed on lockdown as a precautionary measure. The Green Bay Area Public School District says the lockdown is lifted and classes are continuing as normal.

"The students are nervous when they come to school, and that anxiety is unfortunate. It impacts their learning, it impacts how comfortable you can be in a classroom, and the lost instructional time is an issue," Principal Browne said.

========================

INITIAL REPORT

Two Green Bay schools are on lockdown as Notre Dame Academy responds to an "unverified email threat."

Notre Dame Academy is on a level-two lockdown. Nearby Franklin Middle School is also on a lockdown as a "precautionary measure."

Notre Dame officials say the email threat came from "a non-Notre Dame student."

Green Bay Police are investigating the threat. Police officers are at the school. Notre Dame staff say there is no immediate danger to students.

Classes are continuing during the lockdown.

"At this time please do not pick up your student unless it is for a previously scheduled appointment. Additionally, please do not call the school office as the phones must remain free. Know that we will communicate out to you with an update shortly. As always, safety of all students is our primary concern," reads a statement from Notre Dame Principal Patrick Browne.

The Green Bay Area Public School District says all students at Franklin are safe and "the school day will continue within the building as normal."

Dear NDA Parents and Guardians, Notre Dame Academy's administration in consultation with the Green Bay Police...

Posted by Notre Dame de la Baie Academy on Thursday, September 5, 2019

Latest News

Latest News