New London apartment fire forces evacuation

By  | 

NEW LONDON, Wis. (WBAY)- Unattended cooking might be to blame for a fire that broke out Tuesday afternoon in New London forcing an evacuation.

(WBAY Photo)

Firefighters responded around 4:30 PM to the complex located at the intersection of Oshkosh Street and West Wolf River Drive.

Firefighters say luckily no one was injured, and the one person who was in the apartment at the time of the fire was already out when they pulled up on the scene.

However, the entire complex, which has 24 units, was evacuated as a precaution.

Firefighters did have to pull out a couple of pets from the smoke-filled apartment.

The fire chief told Action 2 News that flames were visible when they first arrived in a lower level unit.

The fire was quickly put out, but other units in the vicinity did sustain smoke damage, which is why some people are still being kept out. The fire department says there doesn't appear to be any structural damage.

Captain Don Conat of the New London Fire Department said, "It appears the fire started on top of the stove, and we're taking a look at that."

He added, "We encounter this a lot where people put stuff on the stove and turn on the oven, and they get occupied doing something else and forget that it's on the stove and naturally starts on fire."

Tenants were brought inside a church that was across the street because of the cold weather outside.

The Red Cross was on the scene and it's assisting anyone who won't be allowed back inside for the time being.