UPDATE-2: After Liberty Grove fire, Door County firefighters emphasize closing doors
Firefighters in Door County are sharing a video that demonstrates the value of closing your bedroom doors at night after they fought a fire at a duplex late Saturday evening near Sister Bay (see video below).
"The simple act like sleeping with your bedroom door closed could really make a difference in the survivability in a fire it might buy you a little time to get to that second way out of a home," said Fire Chief Chris Hecht with the Sister Bay & Liberty Grove Fire Department.
Fire Chief Hecht said he wants to thank the owner of the duplex for letting him share the video because it is a good example and is a good opportunity to remind people about fire safety including having functioning smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. It's also important to have an escape plan and two ways to get out of every bedroom.
The Door County Sheriff's Office told Action 2 News that the fire started around 9 p.m. and multiple departments responded.
Officials tell us the fire started after a propane tank caught fire on the deck of a duplex, which a viewer tells us was a part of the Liberty Park Waterfront Condominiums.
Fire officials say the flames quickly spread from the tank to the deck and the home, however the fire was mostly contained to the original unit.
Officials say no one was hurt during the fire.
A dollar estimate for the amount of damage hasn't been provided to WBAY at this time.
Video shared on Facebook by the Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Fire Department shows the charred interior of a home, including a bedroom door stripped of paint and varnish by the flames or heat. The door opens to a nearly pristine bedroom until the camera turns to the adjoining wall.