The Latest: Survivor of fatal police crash out of hospital

Published: Jun. 8, 2018 at 4:19 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Latest on a police squad car crash that killed one Milwaukee police officer and injured another (all times local):

12:20 p.m.

Milwaukee's police chief says an officer who survived a fatal squad car crash has been released from the hospital.

Two police officers were chasing a reckless driver Thursday evening when the squad car rolled over near an overpass.

Chief Alfonso Morales said at a news conference Friday that 36-year-old Officer Matthew Schulze was treated and released from the hospital. Morales says Schulze was the squad car driver.

His partner, 23-year-old Officer Charles Irvine Jr., died in the crash.

Morales says the suspect they were pursuing is a 28-year-old man with a lengthy criminal record. Morales says the suspect is in custody, as well as a 45-year-old man and 26-year-old woman.

Irvine is the first Milwaukee police officer killed in the line of duty since 1996.


7:25 a.m.

Milwaukee police say one officer died and another was injured when a squad car crashed on the city's northwest side.

The rollover accident happened just after 5 p.m. Thursday. Video footage showed heavy damage to the squad car, which rolled off the road until it was wedged near an overpass. An investigation is underway.

Police identified the officer who died as 23-year-old Charles Irvine Jr. He was an officer for nearly two years. The other officer, a 36-year-old with four years of service, is in stable condition.

Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel said Irvine "gave the ultimate sacrifice for his community." He said law enforcement officers risk their lives every day for the safety of others and should be "in our prayers."

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

On behalf of the Green Bay Police Department, we extend our hearts and our prayers to the fallen officer’s family and...

Posted by Green Bay Police Department on Thursday, June 7, 2018