MANITOWOC, Wis. (WBAY) - Manitowoc Rep. Paul Tittl (R-25th District) was issued three citations following a carbon monoxide leak that sent more than a dozen people to the hospital.
The leak happened Oct. 31, 2016, at 1110 Washington St. The building houses The Manitowoc County Republican Party Headquarters, Susie Kay's Cafe, and five apartments.
Seventeen people were sent to hospitals for treatment.
Manitowoc Police say Rep. Tittl was issued two citations for smoke detector violations ($691 each) in November of 2016. The state lawmaker was issued one citation in January for having no fire extinguisher in a common area ($187).
Rep. Tittl issued a statement to Action 2 News saying he will be challenging the citations:
“We are challenging the tickets. This was a horrible situation that should not have happened. The smoke detectors in the common areas of the building were all operational. I later learned that the apartment’s detectors were removed by the tenants and that the fire extinguisher was stolen," says Tittl's statement.
Police reports show that investigators have conducted a detailed examination of the boiler that services the cafe and apartments.
Some pipes coming from the boiler had been blocked with various materials, and may have affected combustion. The report also lists a cracked heat exchanger, or having no water in the boiler tank, as possible causes.
The boiler was taken into evidence by Manitowoc Police.
“The boiler was repaired twice during the month of the incident and I was shocked to find out that it was never truly fixed," Tittl says.
The statement continues, “The safety of my tenants is paramount. Every year the building passes its annual fire department inspection and I have always complied with recommendations. I will continue to work with my tenants to ensure safety requirements are followed.”
The Manitowoc Fire Department tells Action 2 News that this case remains an open criminal investigation and they will not comment publicly at this time.