Garage fire causes damage to home in Appleton; Red Cross assisting

APPLETON, Wis. (WBAY) -- The Red Cross is helping at least one person after an attached garage fire damaged a home in Appleton.

The Appleton Fire Department says the fire happened just before 6 p.m. on Sunday at 1507 W. Grant Street.

Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, which was mostly contained to the garage.

Fire officials say the fire did not get into the home, but the house is uninhabitable for the time being due to smoke damage.

Authorities say the fire was caused by an unattended propane cooking appliance in the garage.

Seven people were inside the home at the time of the fire, but officials did not know how many people actually lived at the home.

Everyone got out of the house safely and no injuries were reported.