Fire blamed on unattended cooking forces 6 out of home

A Fond du Lac apartment kitchen shows fire and smoke damage (Photo: Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue)

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WBAY) - Six people had to find another place to stay Tuesday night after a fire blamed on unattended cooking.

Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue says the fire started on a stove in the upstairs apartment of a two-family home on 4th Street. The fire department was called shortly before 8 p.m.

Everyone got out of the house safely.

Because of the damage, the house is uninhabitable right now. The American Red Cross was helping tenants find living arrangements.

Firefighters will be going door-to-door in the neighborhood on Wednesday after finding only one working smoke detector in the two-story, two-family home.

The law requires working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on all levels of a building, and the fire department urges tenants who notify their landlord if one isn't in working condition.



 
We welcome comments and civil discussions. powered by Disqus