E-reader catches fire at Fond du Lac school

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WBAY) - An e-reader device caught fire at a Fond du Lac school Tuesday.

Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue posted on social media that a teacher at Roberts School noticed an odor and found an Acer e-reader on fire.

The fire department says the device was not being charged or in use at the time. According to Division Chief Troy Haase, "Typically it would be connected to a charger that would cause the battery to overheat, but in this case it just started up all by itself and started spontaneous combust."

Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue is checking in with the Consumer Protection agency and Acer to get more information about the e-reader and to see if it was under recall.

"I looked it up a little bit. We tried to find if it was recalled at all, couldn't really find anything recalled so I contacted Acer," says Haase.

According to the fire department, Acer said it sold hundreds of thousands of these tablets and never had one complaint about the battery burning.

Haase says, "Whether it's just a battery malfunction or something inside the piece of equipment that's different from others, but I don't know what the situation would have caused it."

The fire department went as far as filing a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission with the regard to the device and the battery burning up.

In the meantime, Haase says, "There was a question, what do we do with the other devices? Well, you don't want him to take them home. So, it's one of those things, you try to isolate it as much as you can and hopefully you avoid another problem like this."




 
We welcome comments and civil discussions. powered by Disqus