Dozens gather for man killed in officer-involved shooting at Brown County Jail

Vigil for Jonathon Tubby on Green Bay's CityDeck on Nov. 2, 2018 (WBAY photo)
Vigil for Jonathon Tubby on Green Bay's CityDeck on Nov. 2, 2018 (WBAY photo)(WBAY)
Published: Nov. 2, 2018 at 10:12 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Family, friends and strangers came together Friday evening to remember Jonathon Tubby. Dozens were seen gathered on Green Bay's City Deck for a candlelight vigil to remember the 26-year-old.

Tubby died at the Brown County Jail last month after being arrested on a felony warrant. He was shot by police at the jail's sally port, an area where vehicles pull into the jail.

It's now been two weeks since the officer-involved shooting, and people on City Deck were filled with emotion.

Organizers of the vigil say they're demanding justice for Jonathon, asking for transparency in the ongoing investigation.

Action 2 News reported last week that the Brown County Jail's sally port has video cameras for live viewing but does not have recording capabilities.

Loved ones at the vigil shared their memories of Jonathon.

"When he walked into a room he lit that room up, he was so humble," said one woman.

Vigil-goers also demanded full police accountability and the release of any relevant video of the officer-involved shooting.

The Native Lives Matter group came to support the vigil. The group says they hope Friday’s gathering can provide healing for family and friends.

"Healing, you know, is what I hope for first and foremost, because that's where it's going to start is by healing, and I really do hope that the community hears what's going on here in Green Bay with Jonathon Tubby," said Gabriel Blackelk of Native Lives Matter.

Blackelk is far too familiar with situations like Tubby’s. Blackelk’s brother was killed in an officer-involved shooting in Colorado. Blackelk traveled from Minnesota to join the vigil.

The day after the officer-involved shooting, Green Bay Police Chief Andrew Smith said the goal is to have the investigation completed within 60 days.