Advertisement

Appleton firefighters credit sprinkler system in day care fire

Photos: Appleton Fire Department
Photos: Appleton Fire Department(WBAY)
Published: Feb. 26, 2019 at 9:30 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Appleton Fire Department is crediting a sprinkler system for preventing significant damage during a day care fire.

On Feb. 25, the fire department was called to Appleton KinderCare, 2407 S. Oneida St, for a report of a fire on a stove.

Firefighters arrived to find light smoke in a hallway. A sprinkler had activated above the stove and put out the fire. Damage was limited to some cardboard boxes on the stove top.

There were 65 children in the building at the time of the fire. No children or staff were hurt.

Firefighters say someone was unpacking a shipment of food and placed the empty boxes on the stove top. A burner was inadvertently left in the "on" position, according to the fire department.

"Because of a single, sprinkler head activation, the fire damage was limited to the boxes on the top of the stove cook-top," reads a statement from the Appleton Fire Department. "Fire crews assisted in the removal of smoke and the clean-up of the water from the sprinkler system."

Firefighters say this is the second "sprinkler save" in Appleton in the past two weeks.

The department recommends business owners and apartment owners consider installing a sprinkler system.

Firefighters were called to the day care at about 11:43 a.m.