Police identify suspects arrested after Appleton standoff

Published: Oct. 18, 2018 at 11:03 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Appleton Police have identified two people arrested after a 10-hour standoff.

The department says Sebastian R. Endres, 25, is in custody on a probation hold. Courtney S. Vera, 28, is in custody on two outstanding warrants.

Police have been at the scene in the 800 block of W. Frances Street since 7:30 p.m. Thursday. A patrol officer spotted Endres, who was wanted by police. Also in the home was Endres' girlfriend, Courtney Vera. She had multiple warrants out for her arrest.

Police say the couple refused to come out of the home.

"It was an individual we had received information in the past that had been armed in the community in the past couple of months and allegedly was still involved in the distribution of drugs," said Chief Todd Thomas.

Police used non-lethal devices to try to drive them out of the house, including a foam-tipped baton grenade and flash-bangs -- which neighbors may have mistaken for gunshots, officers said.

Two other people came out of the home Thursday night. At a news conference, Sgt. Dave Lund said police didn't have any reason to arrest the two who came out of the house, and the couple confirmed the wanted subjects were still inside.

"This was an individual [Endres] that we've been looking for for a while. Extremely dangerous. There was weapons mentioned. Some of the information that we learned from the individuals leaving the house was that there was a handgun still in the residence with the male, so we were very concerned about that," Thomas said.

Police called in the Winnebago County SWAT team and the Outagamie County SWAT team for help. Gas munitions were used and Vera came out of the home.

SWAT team members went inside to search for Endres. He was found hiding in an attic.

“We had to slowly enter the house, and slowly search for him. It took a while to locate him. The house was in disarray," Thomas said.

The situation ended at 5:45 a.m.

Police executed a search warrant at the home. Thomas says they received information that the man had a handgun and that he had been using heroin.

"We'll go into the house and we'll look for the weapon that was mentioned. We'll also look for any drug paraphernalia. The information is that were was some drugs and drug paraphernalia. One of the statements that was made was that the individual shot up heroin about ten minutes before we arrived, which made it even more dangerous for us," Thomas said.

Police said Friday morning that they found a loaded handgun inside the home.

No one was hurt during the standoff or the arrest.

Appleton Police give an update on the standoff that happened overnight.

Posted by WBAY TV-2 on Friday, October 19, 2018