Apartment fire put out by sprinkler system

APPLETON, Wis. (WBAY) – The Appleton Fire Department says it has added a third red bulb to its wreath after a fire inside an apartment building.

The 2018 Keep the Wreath Green Campaign is designed to promote fire safety and reduce the number of fires during the holiday season.

On Saturday morning, around 1:30 a.m Appleton firefighters were called out to a fire on East Peter Street. When firefighters were en route, the fire was already out.

The fire in the bathroom of an apartment was put out by the sprinkler system. Fire officials said the fire started in a garbage can in the bathroom because of improper disposal of smoking materials.

Two adults and three kids were assisted by the American Red Cross.
Officials said the sprinkler system in this case undoubtedly saved the building from additional fire damage.

The Appleton Fire Department would like to remind everyone to use caution when disposing of smoking materials.