Fire in wood pile spreads to Stockbridge farmhouse

A Stockbridge family says they're staying strong after the fire
Published: Dec. 1, 2022 at 5:47 AM CST|Updated: Dec. 1, 2022 at 6:34 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

STOCKBRIDGE, Wis. (WBAY) - Fire in a wood pile spread to a home in Stockbridge Thursday morning.

It happened at a farmhouse off Highway 151.

Residents escaped the home and are safe.

“That was good news. It takes a lot off of us not having to worry about getting in and getting somebody out,” Stockbridge Fire Chief Mike Funk said.

A homeowner didn’t want to talk on camera, but he told Action 2 News the farm has been in his family for generations. He said they’ll get through this tough situation.

Fire departments from three different communities responded to the scene. Funk said that made all the difference.

“I really want to thank my neighbors, all the fire departments that came to help. Just work perfectly together. We did an aggressive attack. Chilton helped open up the roof with their aerial ladder,” Funk said. “The interior crews did an excellent job. Again our neighbors, you know, just pitched in... an aggressive attack today. It worked out really well.”

The crews made an aggressive attack. However, the construction of the home presented a challenge to firefighters.

“So balloon frame construction means it’s open from the basement, second floor, and up into the attic. It allows the fire to travel quickly. This was that type of construction. So it had gone through outside wall and into the attic and once it gets up into the attic it makes it very challenging, especially with a steel roof,” Funk explained.

Crews escorted the family inside to look at the damage and find any valuables inside.

The cause is still under investigation, but Funk is relieved to see the home still standing.

“It’s a good strong farm house which I’m happy for. New construction I don’t think would’ve lasted a fraction of the time this did.”

The northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 151 were closed between Tower Road and County Road C during the response. The highway reopened to traffic at about 7 a.m.

The fire spread from a wood pile to the side of the house