Suspect in armed carjacking arrested after SWAT standoff in Oshkosh

Published: Jul. 16, 2021 at 11:19 AM CDT|Updated: Jul. 16, 2021 at 8:28 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OSHKOSH, Wis. (WBAY) - SWAT officers escorted Richard Christl out of a house in Oshkosh Friday evening, peacefully ending a five-hour standoff with a suspect in an armed carjacking.

Police roped off the 800-block of Jackson St. in Oshkosh as they closed in on Christl, 38. They confirmed he was the only person in the house. Just before 6 P.M., our crew on the scene heard loud bangs, possibly flash-bang devices, and officers shouting to Christl, “We can see you inside the house. Come out with your hands up.” Minutes later, at 6:02 P.M., he was in custody.

On Thursday at about 6:15 p.m., police attempted to make contact with Richard L. Christl on an arrest warrant. Christl was a passenger in a Chevy Silverado. As police approached, Christl pointed a gun at the driver of the truck. The driver got out and Christl took off at a high rate of speed.

“Yesterday, officers recognized an individual in a pickup truck, knew he had a warrant for his arrest, and tried to make a stop on the vehicle to take him into custody. The driver got out, yelled that passenger had a gun, and the passenger jumped into the driver’s seat and left with the vehicle,” Police Sgt. Todd Wrage explained.

Police did not chase him. No one was hurt.

Police released a public notice about their search for Christl, urging the public to call 911. The public was advised not to approach him because he was believed to be armed.

The standoff on Jackson St. started at about 12:30 (updated) Friday afternoon. Police say the SWAT and negotiator teams de-escalated the situation, were trying to negotiate with Christl, with the SWAT team on the scene and a number of police officers with guns drawn guarding the perimeter. People in the neighborhood were told to shelter in place.

“It basically seemed like there was a lot of waiting. We saw family members that looked like they were trying to talk to him on the phone and try to communicate with him, and it seemed like that obviously worked because it seemed to have ended peacefully,” said Matt Jerger who lives nearby.

A stretch of Jackson St. was closed between Algoma and Murdock, north of downtown. It reopened to traffic after the arrest.

Copyright 2021 WBAY. All rights reserved.