Fire damages vehicle, interior of building

Fire at Smitty's Salvage in Green Bay, WI
Fire at Smitty's Salvage in Green Bay, WI(WBAY Staff)
Published: Jan. 13, 2021 at 4:39 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) - Fire officials say no one was injured after an equipment failure caused a vehicle to start on fire early Wednesday afternoon at a Green Bay business.

According to the Green Bay Metro Fire Department, crews were called to an address on the 2300 block of Main Street at 12:20 p.m. for a report of a gas tank on fire inside a building.

An Action 2 News photographer at the scene says the incident happened at Smitty’s Salvage.

When they arrived, crews say they found heavy smoke coming from inside and behind a shop building with a car burning outside.

After controlling the car fire, officials say an investigation found there was no fire inside the building.

Officials say the burning car was located inside the building when it started on fire, and workers were able to remove it to the outside by using a front end loader.

The vehicle is said to be a complete loss, and the fire department says there was minor damage done to the inside of the business.

Damage is estimated at $5,000.

**Incident Release** *Fire on Green Bay’s East Side* GBMFD was dispatched to the 2300 block of Main Street for the...

Posted by Green Bay Metro Fire Department on Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Copyright 2021 WBAY. All rights reserved.