Green Bay commercial building fire caused by electrical issue

Published: Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:10 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) - Members of the Green Bay Metro Area Fire Department say the flames are out following a fire on the 800 block of Lombardi Avenue Sunday morning.

Crews were called to 875 Lombardi Avenue around 10:50 a.m.

Fire officials say the restaurant was vacant, and when crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the eaves, and all windows were covered with soot.

After getting inside, crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and get it under control in about 10 minutes.

Damage is estimated at $250,000.

The property owner tells Action 2 News insurance will cover a majority of the damage, which was mainly smoke and heat related.

In addition, the owner says the restaurant was under a remodel because Koko Sushi was moving from its downtown location to that building, and had planned to open at the end of the year. That is now being postponed due to the fire damage, according to the owner.

Action 2 News was also told the property hadn’t been in use since the original restaurant, Sunny’s, closed in March when the pandemic began.

Officials say an area that contained a large fish tank started on fire, which then spread to booths, tables and other areas of the restaurant.

No one was injured during the incident.

Copyright 2020 WBAY. All rights reserved.