Sportsmen Hunting for LP for Shanties - WBAY

Sportsmen Hunting for LP for Shanties

Updated:
Lake Winnebago -

While the propane shortage has thousands worried about heating their homes, sportsmen are also concerned about the impact on sturgeon spearing season because they use smaller 20-pound tanks to heat their ice shanties.

A week from now men, women and children will converge on Lake Winnebago and the Upper River Lakes for a Wisconsin tradition, sturgeon spearing season. So with news of a propane shortage across the state, those who use LP to heat their shanties are getting out early to buy or exchange a tank.

"I'm going to get a tank because I gotta test my heater out in my shack before sturgeon," says Mark Spannbauer. "You want to make sure everything is running good, ready to go."

Mark Spannbauer is just one of the more than a dozen customers who will most likely stop at the Pipe Express for propane today. Always a busy time of year for the lakeshore store to be selling LP, the propane shortage is definitely driving up business earlier than normal.

Wendee Kutz, a Pipe Express employee, says, "We'll still see it, but not in mass quantities like we've been seeing. People calling, checking the prices, making sure, so yeah everybody is stocking up."

Don Prickette, another sturgeon spearer said he filled his propane tank for his shanty up a couple of weeks ago.

According to Prickette, "You just never know. If the shortage is going on you're hearing about it, so you just address it just trying to get a jump on things."

Because with the bitter cold temperatures we've had and the snow that keeps falling, if the shortage continues, spearers want to make sure they aren't left out in the cold.

Says Mark Spannbauer, "You don't want to be out there without it. It's too cold out there so to stay in the shack you want to have the heat."

  • Action 2 NewsMore>>

  • Winnebago authorities rescue 22 animals from home

    Winnebago authorities rescue 22 animals from home

    A Winnebago County woman has been arrested after authorities found nearly two dozen animals living in deplorable conditions in the Town of Clayton.More >>
    A Winnebago County woman has been arrested after authorities found nearly two dozen animals living in deplorable conditions in the Town of Clayton.More >>
  • 162 Year Old Business Closes in Two Rivers

    162 Year Old Business Closes in Two Rivers

    One of Wisconsin's oldest businesses, and an iconic staple to downtown Two Rivers, closed shop for the final time Saturday. Suettinger's Hardware has been operating in the city for 162 years, believed to be the first retail store in the city."I grew up down here myself," Chris Suettinger said, part of the fifth generation of Suettinger's running the shop. "I'd like to thank all the customers over the years for supporting us. A lot of them expressed they're gonna miss us."Business the past few...More >>
    One of Wisconsin's oldest businesses, and an iconic staple to downtown Two Rivers, closed shop for the final time Saturday. Suettinger's Hardware has been operating in the city for 162 years, believed to be the first retail store in the city."I grew up down here myself," Chris Suettinger said, part of the fifth generation of Suettinger's running the shop. "I'd like to thank all the customers over the years for supporting us. A lot of them expressed they're gonna miss us."Business the past few...More >>
  • Fire Burns down Green Bay Garage

    Fire Burns down Green Bay Garage

    Nobody was hurt after a fire burned down a garage early Saturday morning in the 400 block of Taylor Street in Green Bay. The garage was a complete loss.The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says the fire was an accident. It was started by a boat battery after a life jacket was thrown on top of it causing it to over hear. Though the fire completely destroyed the garage, the home it was a attached to by a breezeway was not damaged.It is estimated that the fire caused about thirty thousand dollars...More >>
    Nobody was hurt after a fire burned down a garage early Saturday morning in the 400 block of Taylor Street in Green Bay. The garage was a complete loss.The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says the fire was an accident. It was started by a boat battery after a life jacket was thrown on top of it causing it to over hear. Though the fire completely destroyed the garage, the home it was a attached to by a breezeway was not damaged.It is estimated that the fire caused about thirty thousand dollars...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
  • 115 S. Jefferson St. Green Bay, WI 54301
  • Email: wbay@wbay.com
  • Phone: (920) 432-3331
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBAY. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.