Blanketing Brown County - WBAY

Blanketing Brown County

Updated:

While many of us have added extra blankets to our beds and couches to combat the cold, not everyone has that luxury.

Several organizations are coming together to bring warmth to those who need it.

It's called Blanketing Brown County, a drive in its third year, aimed at helping those who are homeless stay warm.

"This is Wisconsin, it's January, it gets cold every year and now we're seeing record cold, but what happens to folks who don't have enough blankets and aren't able to stay warm. It becomes, you don't want to say a life and death situation, but in many ways it does," said Dan Wadle with the Brown County United Way.

New and gently used blankets are collected at drop off sites like all of the Green Bay Metro Fire Departments and Shopko stores,  then the United Way distributes them to agencies like the Freedom House which helps homeless families in Green Bay.

"The little things is what matters. To be able to have your own blanket to call your own and to keep you warm and to let them know they can take those blankets with them as they leave," said Tameika Hughes, a family support specialist with Freedom House.

Last year the drive collected just over 2,000.

The goal for this year is 2300.

Hughes says the collection lets the community know what the homeless population is like in Brown County.

"It's good because I think it brings awareness to the community that we do have homeless and it is a big deal here. We have a 128 families on our waiting list. That includes 187 children," said Hughes.

The drive runs through January 28th.

 

  • Action 2 NewsMore>>

  • Winnebago authorities rescue 22 animals from home

    Winnebago authorities rescue 22 animals from home

    A Winnebago County woman has been arrested after authorities found nearly two dozen animals living in deplorable conditions in the Town of Clayton.More >>
    A Winnebago County woman has been arrested after authorities found nearly two dozen animals living in deplorable conditions in the Town of Clayton.More >>
  • 162 Year Old Business Closes in Two Rivers

    162 Year Old Business Closes in Two Rivers

    One of Wisconsin's oldest businesses, and an iconic staple to downtown Two Rivers, closed shop for the final time Saturday. Suettinger's Hardware has been operating in the city for 162 years, believed to be the first retail store in the city."I grew up down here myself," Chris Suettinger said, part of the fifth generation of Suettinger's running the shop. "I'd like to thank all the customers over the years for supporting us. A lot of them expressed they're gonna miss us."Business the past few...More >>
    One of Wisconsin's oldest businesses, and an iconic staple to downtown Two Rivers, closed shop for the final time Saturday. Suettinger's Hardware has been operating in the city for 162 years, believed to be the first retail store in the city."I grew up down here myself," Chris Suettinger said, part of the fifth generation of Suettinger's running the shop. "I'd like to thank all the customers over the years for supporting us. A lot of them expressed they're gonna miss us."Business the past few...More >>
  • Fire Burns down Green Bay Garage

    Fire Burns down Green Bay Garage

    Nobody was hurt after a fire burned down a garage early Saturday morning in the 400 block of Taylor Street in Green Bay. The garage was a complete loss.The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says the fire was an accident. It was started by a boat battery after a life jacket was thrown on top of it causing it to over hear. Though the fire completely destroyed the garage, the home it was a attached to by a breezeway was not damaged.It is estimated that the fire caused about thirty thousand dollars...More >>
    Nobody was hurt after a fire burned down a garage early Saturday morning in the 400 block of Taylor Street in Green Bay. The garage was a complete loss.The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says the fire was an accident. It was started by a boat battery after a life jacket was thrown on top of it causing it to over hear. Though the fire completely destroyed the garage, the home it was a attached to by a breezeway was not damaged.It is estimated that the fire caused about thirty thousand dollars...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
  • 115 S. Jefferson St. Green Bay, WI 54301
  • Email: wbay@wbay.com
  • Phone: (920) 432-3331
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBAY. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.