Smoke detector installed in fire department program saves Oshkosh house

OSHKOSH, Wis. (WBAY) - The Oshkosh Fire Department says a fire that spread to two floors of a house Thursday afternoon was caused by a malfunctioning toaster.

They credit a smoke detector with warning a woman in the house about the fire. She got out safely, and a Meals on Wheels driver nearby called the fire department.

The fire had spread from the kitchen to the second floor. Firefighters say there was extensive smoke and heat damage.

Firefighters say they installed the smoke detector in that house on the 1200-block of Ontario Street in October during their annual Detector Trek, checking houses for working alarms.

The fire is blamed on a toaster that was stuck in the down position.

The woman is getting help from the American Red Cross.



 
We welcome comments and civil discussions. powered by Disqus