Fire officials encourage checking furnace after being called to home twice over weekend

APPLETON FIRE DEPT.

APPLETON, Wis. (WBAY) -- The Appleton Fire Department is encouraging people to check their furnaces after officials were called to a home twice over the weekend.

The fire department responded to 1309 S. Jackson Street on Saturday night and Sunday morning after a report of a possible fire.

Officials say on Saturday, they confirmed that when the furnace was turned on, dust or ash were blowing out of the HVAC vent and the furnace was taken out of service.

The fire department responded to the home again on Sunday morning for a possible structure fire related to the furnace.

When firefighters arrived, they found light smoke on the first and second floor.

Fire officials say the cause was from a furnace blower motor that overheated and ignited the furnace filter directly above the blower motor.

The furnace has minor damage, but it was taken out of service until it can be repaired.

No injuries were reported.

The Appleton Fire Department is reminding people of the importance of inspecting heating and cooking appliances.

Fire officials also say it's important to have properly working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on each level of the home.