Appleton Fire Dept. warns of dangers of dryer fires

APPLETON, Wis. (WBAY) -- The Appleton Fire Department is reminding people to not overload dryers after a dryer fire at a laundromat Wednesday afternoon.

The Appleton Fire Department and the Grand Chute Fire Department responded to 621 W. Northland Avenue around 2 p.m. for a fire in a dryer.

The fire department says flames were visible and the laundromat had to be evacuated.

One person tried to contain the fire with a fire extinguisher.

The fire departments put out the fire shortly after arrival.

There were no injuries and the damage was confined to the dryer.

The fire department is reminding people to not overload clothes in dryers because they may overheat and cause a fire.